Finding The Perfect Gift for Your Outdoorsman
Choosing the perfect Christmas gift for your outdoorsman doesn’t have to be difficult. If he likes to hike, fish, hunt, backpack, canoe, kayak, mountain climb, or just watch The Outdoor Channel, these are gift ideas that he is guaranteed to love.
When an outdoorsman is in his element (the outdoors) it’s easy for him to completely lose track of time. It is not uncommon for an outdoorsman to find himself in the middle of the forest or lake after dark without any source of light. Buy him a good headlight or flashlight so he can find his way back home to you.
If your man loves the great outdoors, he can never have too many knives, mostly because it’s so easy to lose or ruin them. Whether he drops his knife in the lake, leaves it in the rain, runs it through the laundry, or breaks it in half trying to jimmy the lock on his own truck, he will always appreciate a new knife. You can buy him a fillet knife, a hunting knife, or just a good old fashioned pocket knife. You can make it extra special by having his name engraved in it.
Women aren’t the only ones who like shoes. Believe it or not, avid outdoorsmen often need multiple types of footwear, including…
1. Hiking Boots: If your man likes to trek through the mountains and forests, he will love a pair of hiking boots. Quality hiking boots are lightweight, durable, and fashionable. But don’t skimp and buy the cheap ones. His feet could be in these shoes for hours, so he will need good support. Buying a solid pair of hiking boots will save money in the long run because he won’t be running all his other shoes into the ground (no pun intended) trying to hike in them.
2. Versatile Water Shoes: There is a whole new market of high quality waterproof sandals that are great for both land and water use, including hiking, fishing, boating, and biking. One of the most popular brands is Keen. Again, these shoes save money in the long run because your outdoorsman won’t ruin his other shoes when he falls out of his canoe and gets soaked.
3. Waders: If your outdoorsman enjoys fishing in creeks and streams, rubber waders would make a great gift. They come in boot length, waist length, and all the way up to his chest.
We have all heard of the companies that will deliver chocolate or flowers to a gal’s home at the beginning of every month (usually for an exorbitant amount of money). Well men also like gifts that keep on giving, but instead of chocolate or flowers, give your red-blooded outdoorsman something he will really enjoy: meat. Fill the freezer with steaks, ribs, pork chops, and pulled pork, and if you really want to spread holiday cheer, offer to cook it for him every so often. Even better if you can purchase the meat from a local farmer. If your outdoorsman is a vegetarian, you can stock the freezer with his favorite meatless meals or bring him a new batch of baked goods every several weeks.
You may not know what type of fishing gear your guy wants, so I have included some ideas that have worked great for me.
1. Strike King SHCKVD15F-538 KVD Flat Side Crank Bait: Great for catching big bass.
2. Strike King Crappie Joker, Junebug/Chartruese Glitter: I have used this jig tail to literally catch 100 crappie (a type of fish) in a day. Get a 1/16 ounce black jig head, and he will be set.
3. Corn Powerbait: If he likes to fish for trout, this will work great.
These socks are made with moisture-wicking properties that keep the feet dry while outdoors. Get a good comfy pair, and he may even enjoy wearing them around the house.
When he hikes to the top of a mountain, he’ll love a good pair of binoculars to help him see for miles around. Binoculars are also great for bird and nature watching.
Great for relaxing around a fire.
I know this is the second time I have mentioned food, but it is always a rough situation to be in the middle of the woods and hungry. Get him a good stash of beef jerky or trail mix so he doesn’t starve on one of his outdoor quests.
Cell Phone Case
It’s a tough life to be the cell phone of an outdoorsman. You have to constantly endure being dropped, scratched, sat on, or soaked in water. Buy your outdoorsman a strong case or cover for his phone so you can reach him in case of an emergency.
For an outdoorsman, camouflage is always in style. Whether it’s a hat, shirt, blanket, or truck, buy him something with camouflage, and he will love you forever.