After nearly four months, I am nearing the end of my many furniture refinishing projects. So far, I have shared photos of my coffee table, the post for which doubles as a general tutorial, as well as the nightstand and bookshelf that Mr. Handsome built.Last week, I completed our dining table, and a few days ago, I finished the third chair, out of four.
Before I began the project, the table and chairs were in desperate need of a new finish. I looked into buying a new set, but I couldn’t find any solid wood pieces for a decent price. Mr. Handsome purchased our set at a garage sale for $100 when he lived alone before we were married. New, it sells for more than $600.
To refinish the table, I had to remove the legs and take the leaves apart.
For the table and chairs, I followed the same tutorial laid out in my coffee table post, but I also applied three coats of wipe-on, clear gloss, Minwax polyurethane, to add a shiny finish.
The table alone represents many hours of work, but the chairs have by far been the biggest challenge. I have spent about eight hours on each of them (24 hours combined!). Sanding the spokes and neatly applying polyurethane and stain has been extremely time consuming, but the results have been well worth my labors.
After completing one chair, I discovered that the polyurethane and stain had pooled up around the bottom of the spokes and just didn’t look right. So I completely redid that chair. From then on, I started running a nail around the bottom of each spoke about five minutes after applying each coat of polyurethane and stain, to remove the excess liquid and prevent it from pooling up. That fixed the problem.