After reading that post, several of my readers suggested Meatless Monday. I admit that my husband’s love of meat means that Meatless Monday is not an option for us, but I would still like to share a few of my favorite meatless recipes with you all.
Growing up, my family ate vegetarian multiple times per week, and my mom was great at finding healthy and delicious recipes. I’ll start with a side dish.
Did you know that carrots are bursting with nutrition? In addition to beta carotene, they also contain Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium, fiber, riboflavin, and even a bit of protein. This carrot salad recipe was one of my favorites as a child.
Powerhouse Carrot Salad
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bag (10 ounces) shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup Ocean Spray Craisins
- 3 Tablespoons chives, green onions, or regular onions
- 1/4 cup toasted, slivered almonds (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, mustard, salt, and sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, Craisins, and onion.
- Add dressing to carrot mixture, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Optional: Add almonds just before serving.
This is one of those recipes that tastes exceptional the next day after all the flavors mix. If you like carrots, you will love this salad. Go on and give it a try!