What’s better than going out for pizza on a Friday night? How about staying home for pizza on a Friday night! Preheat the oven, grab your favorite toppings, and prepare your taste buds for this simple, mouth-watering treat.
Easy Homemade Pizza
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- Make sure oven racks are in the lowest positions possible. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Combine yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add warm water, and stir until yeast and sugar dissolve. Stir in oil, salt, and 2-1/2 cups flour.
- When the dough becomes too stiff to stir, flour your hands and a work surface. Knead for 8-10 minutes, adding a little flour to keep dough from sticking. When done kneading, the dough should feel smooth and no longer sticky.
- Dust ball of dough with flour, and return to mixing bowl. Cover with a towel, and let dough rise for no longer than 30 minutes. (The beauty of this recipe is that you don’t have to let the dough rise at all, but it is easier to use if you do.)
- Grease a standard-sized cookie sheet, and dust with cornmeal. Use your hands or a rolling pin to spread dough over the entire pan.
- If you want your pizza to look extra fancy, pinch a raised rim around the edges.
- Decorate with sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned.
Based on recipe from Williams-Sonoma’s Kids Cooking cookbook